Sunday 9 August 2009

Fruit Juice & Jam Factory

The fruit juice and jam factory of RDIS was bourn to address two requirements. Firstly, to provide pineapple farmers in the region with an additional opportunity for sales, as the local markets many times receive an overflow of pineapples. Secondly, to generate an income with the aim to become independent of international aid for running their development activities.

The factory produces pineapple syrup, strawberry syrup and mixed jam consisting of pineapples, papaya and tomatoes. This week, I had the chance to help out bottling pineapple syrup. I made a point of it to observe their process carefully and think I might even try making my own when I get home.

This business is still very small and has many hurdles to overcome in order to expand, mainly restricted by finances, but the first steps have been made … and their products taste really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment