Sunday 26 July 2009

Education


It’s currently school holidays but English afternoon classes are provided at this school. We arrived 30min late for the class. The teacher hasn’t pitched yet but around 60 people varying from 4 years to probably 34 were waiting eagerly to learn more. Classes were separated in beginners, intermediate and advanced. I went to sit in on the advanced English class but before I new it, the teacher has introduced me and disappeared after he told the class that I would take the lesson for the next hour! My first day in Rwanda and I’m teaching English (with my Afrikaans accent). And guess the first question I got from a teener … are you married?

Last year, the government implemented ‘education for all’. Primary school is now free for everyone. Even adults that didn’t have the opportunity before can now return to school. Classes are held in morning and afternoon sessions, so that more people can get through school with the limited number of schools and teachers. English is especially very important to the Rwandese education, as it empowers them to acquire knowledge with most books and internet information in English. Hence a major requirement for foreign English teachers.

1 comment:

  1. Leanne - what did your first english lesson entail...? I am sure you did a great job despite your afrikaans accent :-) (Dorita)

    ReplyDelete