Wednesday 26 August 2009

What Westerners have Lost

Self-consciousness of westerners, I think, made over the years that they have lost a sense of freedom. I’ve yet to meet someone in this country that is self-conscious. Here is why I came to this conclusion.

Any child randomly picked from a group, will without a blink stand up and sing a song or do a dance, if you ask him or her to do so. Now imagine the same situation in a school in SA or the UK … I don’t think so. And this is not only among the young, any age group will be willing to do the same (even the grannies). Maybe we should look back at where we picked up this attribute (or should I say attitude), and learn again from the 3rd world on how not to judge and be thought of as being judged.

2 comments:

  1. How true! I think we have lost alot more than this. I was reading a really interesting book about the Middle East which states how traditional developing world cultures are much more able, and have much better structures in place for looking after their own poor and frail than the western countires who have tried to "help" them. It is often true that we go out to serve and actually end up gaining alot more then we give! I can't wait to see what I learn in India.

    ReplyDelete